Kent Region

Campaign for Real Ale

Campaign for Real Ale

Wig & Pen

10 Market Place
Emailku.oc.snrevatyelroht@nepdnagiw Telephone(01843) 231180
Real AleGamesSports TVWiFiLive Music
Opening times: Mon–Fri 11:00-23:00; Sat and Sun 11:00-24:00

See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.

Pub in Margate's old town area. There has been a hostelry on this site since at least 1835 when the landlord Isaiah Marsh practised as an auctioneer. The pub then known as the Queen's Head was demolished around 1933. It was small, unpretentious, and much frequented by local seafarers. In contrast the 1933 model was a grander conception: with its distinctive golden vane, the new pub/hotel incorporated the sweet shop on the corner of Lombard Street. It had 8 letting rooms and a first floor dining room. Features include a fine stone fireplace and a beautiful carved dumb waiter behind the bar counter. The pub gained its present name when it became part of the Thorley Taverns empire.