Kent Region

Campaign for Real Ale

Campaign for Real Ale


30 York Street
CT11 9DS
Telephone(01843) 592550
Real AleGarden
Opening times: Mon–Sun 10:00-22:00

See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.

One of the town's oldest pubs in one of its oldest streets, York Street was built about 1700 when it was called the Hew End. This pub first appears in the rate book dated 1717. It was owned by Cobb of Margate as early as 1818, when it had the reputation as a disorderly house. In that year the Ramsgate magistrates urged Francis Cobb to control the outrageous conduct of his tenant at the 'Old Crown'. The pub changed its name to Jacksons Wharf for the past 10 or so years but after becoming part the Craft Union pub chain has reverted to its original name.