Monument37 St Dunstan's Street
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
Reopened on June 11th 2021 with new owner. No food at present but due to start in July. Timothy Taylor Landlord is due to be added to the beers. Quiz night is Mondays, and there is a pub golf society. The Monument was established as a pub in 1803 and the building itself is even older, sitting on the crossroads of St Dunstans Street, London Road and Whitstable Road for over 400 years. With St Dunstans church just opposite, the street outside has remained the main route into Canterbury from London for over a millennium.
The name of The Monument comes from a large wooden crucifix which stood on the junction outside. Sadly, it was removed before the invention of photography but an artists impression sits proudly opposite the main bar. The wooden cross would have welcomed pilgrims to Canterbury after the arduous journey from London, signifying that they had made it to the city, with the West Gate and city walls finally in sight.