Rose & CrownHigh Street
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
A 16th century grade II listedcoaching inn that was used previously as the Circuit Court of Justice up to the 1970's. It has one bar, beamed with old ships timbers, with an open fire. Bar billiards in its current form was first played in the Rose & Crown in 1932. David Gill, a resident of North Elham saw Billard Russe being played in Belgium and persuaded the Jelkes company of Holloway Road in London to make a similar table to his design. The outbuildings behind the inn were once used for brewing ale, and the old well which supplied water for this purpose still remains, where, within living memory, there was a donkey wheel from drawing water.